Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dead Bird Rising!

Benjamin was playing in the backyard and then I could not hear him so I went out side to see what he was doing. I saw him sitting in the lawn talking to something. I went over to see what it was and it was a very injured blue jay. It was funny watching benjamin talk to it and have it squeak back at him. But I knew that the bird would not survive whatever was the matter with it.

So I took Benjamin back into the house and had him play with Alex while I took care of the bird. Let me tell you putting that bird out of his misery was not easy and made me feel awful. IT did not help that it sqeaked at me while I was trying to help it. I was greatful that the episode was over in a few minutes and then I buried the bird.

After I was done with the bird Benjamin kept asking me where the bird went. I sat him down and explained that the bird was hurt and went to heaven. He accepted this explanation only after I told it to him 3 or 4 times during the day. I know that I did the best thing for the poor bird but it made me sick to my stomach especially since I have been taught to be kind to animals and not hurt them. I also know that I had to take care of the bird before they boys decided that they wanted to touch it and play with it becasue who knows what germs it was carrying.

I am Just grateful that is over with. Hopefully I will not have any more mortally injured animals in my yard again.

No comments:

Post a Comment